You may love your black coffee in the morning to help you feel energized and get ready for the day, but how much do you know about it? Do you know how drinking black coffee affects your body and your mind? Are you aware of the benefits of black coffee and its side effects?
Black coffee is simply coffee that is normally brewed without the addition of additives such as sugar, milk, cream, or added flavors. While it has a slightly bitter taste compared to when it is flavored with additives, many people love a strong cup of black coffee. In fact, for some, it is part of their everyday diet.
In this article, we talk about the benefits of drinking black coffee, how it can help you in losing weight, potential side effects, as well as how to make the perfect cup of black coffee.
Table of Contents
- Nutrition value of black coffee
- Black coffee for weight loss
- Black coffee benefits
- How to make black coffee
- Side effects of black coffee
- Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Nutrition value of black coffee
If you are looking for a drink that is low in calories, fats, and carbohydrates, then black coffee is the perfect drink for you. Simply put, drinking coffee only becomes a cause for concern when you drink it regularly with milk, sugar, cream, etc. With these additives, even a single cup of coffee can contain as many calories as an extra-large slice of cake.
Typically, an 8-ounce cup of black coffee contains:
- Fat – 0%
- Cholesterol – 0%
- Sodium – 0%
- Carbohydrates – 0%
- Sugar – 0%
- Potassium – 4%
As you can see for yourself, black coffee does not provide calories, fats, or cholesterol. However, this does not mean that it is “healthy” or “nutritional”. In fact, black coffee has very low nutritional value besides giving you low amounts of potassium. It’s just that it doesn’t add too many calories.
So, in simple terms, black coffee calories content is very low, which makes it an ideal drink for those who are looking for a regular drink that won’t harm their health. If you want to derive more nutrition from your coffee, then you can do so by choosing to go with different types of coffee drinks such as latte, mocha, cappuccino, and others.
Black coffee for weight loss
Many people, even those who drink black coffee regularly, are unaware that the beverage is a great catalyst for losing weight. If you want to lose weight because of aesthetic or health reasons, or you just don’t feel good in your own body, it is no secret that diet is an important part of any weight loss journey. You must consume foods and beverages that will help you achieve your goal, and black coffee is one of them.
Below, we discuss black coffee benefits for weight loss:
- Black coffee contains chlorogenic acid, which helps to slow down glucose production in your body. This means that if you drink black coffee after a meal, then your body will produce less glucose and fat cells.
- Black coffee also contains antioxidants, which help in the weight loss process.
- Since black coffee is rich in caffeine, it helps in the stimulation of metabolic activity and increases your energy level, thereby suppressing hunger.
- As mentioned before, black coffee is a low-calorie drink, and also does not contain fats or cholesterol. This means that you do not put on any weight by drinking black coffee daily.
- Many people love to take black coffee a few minutes before they hit the gym. This is because it can boost metabolism greatly, allowing you to reap more benefits from your workout session.
- Other black coffee benefits for weight loss include the reduction of water content in the body. As a result of frequent urination, you will reduce excess water in your body, which helps in temporary weight loss.
- If you are taking black coffee for weight loss, it is important to note that you should drink it without any additives. This means no sugar, cream, milk, or any other added flavor. With such additives, then all these benefits discussed above are nullified because then your drink will contain calories, fats, and cholesterol. That said, it is a must to follow a proper diet routine to lose weight.
Black coffee benefits
If you love black coffee, you will be happy to learn that the beverage offers plenty of benefits, both for your body and your mind. Let’s discuss these black coffee benefits below:
1. It improves cardiovascular health
Regular intake of black coffee may lead to an increase in your blood pressure, but this effect diminishes with time. Studies have shown that drinking one to two cups of black coffee every day can reduce your risk of developing various cardiovascular diseases, including stroke. This means that over time, black coffee gives you a stronger heart. Besides, reducing inflammation in the body.
2. It improves your memory
Black coffee is known to be great for improving your memory. As we grow older, our cognitive skills get affected, and we are more likely to develop memory-related diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Dementia, and Parkinson’s diseases. Drinking black coffee regularly can help combat these by keeping your brain fit and healthy. It keeps your nerves active, thus enhancing brain function.
3. It is good for your liver
One of the most important black coffee benefits is that it boosts liver health. Your liver is a vital organ in your body that carries out many functions. You must keep it healthy and black coffee is perfect for that. Regular intake of black coffee has been linked with the prevention of liver cancer, fatty liver disease, hepatitis, and alcoholic cirrhosis.
Studies have shown that people who consume four cups of black coffee every day have much lower chances of developing any kind of liver disease. This is because the contents of black coffee can help to lower the level of harmful liver enzymes that are found in the blood.
4. It helps you cleanse your stomach
Coffee is a diuretic beverage, which means that the more you consume, the more often you will urinate. This means that toxins and bacteria get flushed out from your stomach every time you urinate. This cleanses your stomach and keeps you generally healthy.
5. It may help prevent the risk of developing cancer
Studies have shown that regular consumption of black coffee may be linked with a lower risk of developing certain types of cancer such as liver cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, and rectal cancer. Coffee is great for reducing inflammation in your body, which helps to prevent tumor development.
6. It is rich in antioxidants
Many of the health benefits of black coffee are because of its rich antioxidant content. Strong antioxidants such as Potassium, magnesium, Vitamin B2, B3, and B5, as well as manganese, are found in black coffee.
How to make black coffee?
While there is no one correct way of making black coffee and different people make their black coffee in their own ways, there are steps you can take to ensure that your beverage tastes amazing every time.
There are two ways you can make black coffee – by grinding it on your own, or by using a machine.
If you want a clear black coffee with a truly delicate taste, then grinding it on your own is the best option. Take about three tablespoons of coffee and grind them till they are as fine as sea salt. Boil about 600 grams of water. Add a filter to your dripper, filling it with the ground coffee. Gently tap the surface and pour it over in a cup. Your black coffee will be ready in no time.
Another option is to simply use a coffee machine, which most people do because of how convenient it is.
Side effects of black coffee
We have discussed the advantages of black coffee and how it helps in weight loss, but is all that good? Does it not have any side effects? Like everything, excessive intake of black coffee does result in side effects, which are discussed below:
- Too much black coffee releases high levels of stress hormones in your body, which only leads to anxiety and stress. It’s easy to feel jittery when you consume too much caffeine.
- Excessive coffee intake can seriously mess up your sleeping routine. It is recommended that you avoid coffee a few hours before bedtime if you want to get a good night’s sleep.
- Black coffee is rich in caffeine and acid, so excess consumption can lead to acidity in your stomach. You are likely to have cramps and abdominal spasms.
- Too much coffee in your system makes it difficult for your body to absorb minerals from your daily diet, such as iron, calcium, and zinc.
Black coffee has plenty of health benefits and also aids in weight loss. It can help boost memory, increase metabolism, keep your liver and heart-healthy, and helps in lowering your risk of developing cancer.
However, one should drink it in moderation because, like anything, too much of it can lead to unwanted side effects. These include acidity, increased stress and anxiety, low rate of mineral absorption, and disturbed sleeping routine.
When consumed in moderation, black coffee is a great beverage that does not contain calories, fats, or cholesterol.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A. Caffeine, an active ingredient in coffee, is the most commonly consumed psychoactive substance in the world. Coffee’s caffeine content is highly variable, ranging from 50 to over 400 mg per cup. A small home-brewed cup of coffee could provide 50 mg. As a general rule, an average 8-ounce (240-ml) cup of coffee offers around 100 mg of caffeine.
Several sources suggest that 400 mg of caffeine per day — the equivalent of 4 cups (945 ml) of coffee a day is safe for most healthy adults.
A. Caffeine present in coffee may also cause gastrointestinal discomfort by increasing the production of stomach acid (hydrochloric acid). When you are drinking coffee on an empty stomach, this can add more acid in your body. Even decaffeinated coffee can stimulate the production of acid which, on an empty stomach, can be damaging to the lining of the stomach if consumed regularly.
A: Black coffee has an element called chlorogenic acid, which is known to speed up weight loss. If you consume black coffee after supper or dinner, the presence of chlorogenic acid slows down the production of glucose in the body. Moreover, the production of new fat cells is decreased, meaning fewer calories in the body. Black coffee comprises caffeine that effectively increases metabolic activity and boosts energy levels in our body, promoting weight loss.