Some dismiss it as tough version of paneer, but there are several benefits to including tofu in your diet.
Tofu, or bean curd, is derived from curdling fresh soya milk, pressing it into a solid block and then cooling it – in much the same way as paneer. The liquid (whey) is discarded, and the curds are pressed to form a cohesive bond. Although a staple ingredient in Chinese and Thai cooking, it is now easily available across India and recommended as a great source of protein, especially for vegetarians. Unlike paneer, it is also high fiber and compared to other vegetarian protein sources, like dal or beans, it is also easily absorbed by the body.
With a texture that can be both smooth and soft as well as crisp and crunchy, Tofu is used in a variety of ways. Extra firm tofu is good for baking, grilling and stir-fries, while soft tofu is suitable for sauces, desserts, shakes and salad dressings.
Here are two quick tofu recipes ideal for lunch at work:
Besan (chickpea flour) 30 gm
Tofu 20 gms
Want to be healthy and fit? HealthifyMe is here to help you reach your fitness goals. For expert help and guidance, talk to our health counsellor today!
Carrot 15 gms
Beans 15 gms
Onion 20 gms
Tomato 20 gms
Lettuce 1 leaf
Oil 5 gms
Salt & chat masala to taste
Coriander 50 gms
Flaxseed 5 gms
- In a big bowl make a smooth batter of besan. Now heat a non-stick tawa or heavy bottom frying pan, then turn the heat on medium. Put 1 tsp oil on the tawa and spread one serving spoonful of batter evenly on it. Cover it with lid just for a minute so that it cooks. Then remove lid, put some more oil on the top and flip it, until it gets brown and crispy from both sides.
- Finely chop all the vegetables and tofu in big bowl. Add salt and chat masala to taste.
- Put the lettuce leaf over the besan cheela. Spread chop vegetables and tofu. Squeeze lemon to taste. Fold over the left side, and then the right side and roll it to form a tube. Pack a dabba of salad and green chutney to go with it.
Nutritional value 98.5 calories
Protein 5.9 gms
Fat 2.2 gms
Coriander, chopped 100 gms
Flaxseeds 5 gms
Salt to taste
Lemon to taste
Curd ½ tsp
Combine all ingredients and grind to a smooth paste in a blender using very little water.
Quick & Easy Tofu Sandwich
Tofu, 2 slices
Sprouts, lettuce or baby spinach
Tomato, 4 slices
Avocado, 2 slices (optional)
Multigrain/oats bread, 2 slices
Vegetable oil 1 tsp
Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté tofu in pan until it browns. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble sandwich using bread, chutney, tofu and veggies.
Nutritional value 155 calories
Protein 6.6 gms
Fat 5.1 gms
Carbs 21.6 gms
To get more tips on the best diet & training choices for your fitness, training or weightloss plan, sign up today and speak to our experts.