It may be the tail end of the season for sarson ka saag (mustard greens with spinach) but it isn’t too late for you to enjoy its healthy green goodness.
The main ingredient mustard leaves are rich in anti-cancer nutrients and also help lower blood cholesterol levels. Spinach is a good source of fiber and is loaded with magnesium, which is needed for healthy nerves and muscles. Ginger, garlic and onions, which are used in this dish, have anti-inflammatory benefits and are very high in antioxidants.
While traditionally, sarson ka saag is enjoyed with butter and cream, reduce the amount of butter added to lower calorie intake. Remember to pressure cook the greens as boiling leads to nutrient losses.
Makai ki roti is a healthy accompaniment to sarson ka saag. Brown rice is also a good choice but it tastes best with rotis.
5 cups mustard leaves (sarson ke patte)
1 ½ cups spinach (palak), roughly cooked
2 ½ tsp green chillies, finely-chopped
2 tsp ginger (adrak), finely-chopped
2 tbsp oil/ghee
½ cup onions, finely-chopped
1 tsp garlic (lehsun), finely-chopped
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp chilli powder
3 tbsp maize flour (makai ka atta) mixed with 1/3 cup of water
1/4 cup milk
Salt to taste
White butter (for garnish)
- Combine mustard leaves, spinach, green chillies and ginger with 1½ cups of water in a broad pan and cook on medium flame till the greens get cooked and the water dries out. Keep aside to cool. Blend to a coarse paste in a mixer. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil/ ghee in another pan; add the onions and garlic and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the prepared paste and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the maize flour paste, milk and salt and mix well. Simmer for another 5 minutes, while stirring continuously. Serve hot garnished with a dollop of white butter.
Sarson ka saag (100 g serving) – calories 102.9 kcal
Protein 4.6 g, Fat 5.1 g, Carbs 10.1 g
1 Makai Roti 196 kcal, Brown Rice (1 katori) 207 kcals
To get started with the best diet & training choices for your fitness or weightloss plan, sign up today and speak to our experts.