Cheap, home-grown and healthy – three reasons why you need to grow a liking for sprouts.
Experts estimate there are over 100 times more enzymes (special types of proteins that act as catalysts for all your body’s functions) in sprouts than uncooked fruits and vegetables.
The energy contained in the bean or legume is ignited through soaking and sprouting. The quality of the protein improves with the soaking and germination processes. The fiber content, critical to weight loss, also increases substantially as does the vitamins A, B-Complex, C and E count.
The fact that sprouts are home-grown ensures you are not getting unwanted pesticides, food additives and other harmful chemicals that may impact your weight-loss plan.
Here are two easy recipes for a quick afternoon pick-up snack:
#1 Sprout Tikki
- Moong dal sprouted 1/2 cup
- Brown chana, sprouted and boiled 1/2 cup
- Green chana (hare chane), sprouted and boiled 1/2 cup
- Fresh coriander leaves 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder ½ tsp
- Chaat masala ½ tsp
- Jeera (cumin) powder ½ tsp
- Oil to shallow fry
- Besan flour for shallow frying
- Chop coriander leaves finely and place in a bowl. Add the sprouts, salt and mash with a potato masher.
- Add red chilli powder, chaat masala, jeera powder and mix.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan. Shape the mixture into small cutlets, roll them in besan flour and place in the pan to shallow fry. When the underside is done, flip over and cook till both sides are evenly golden.
#2 Sprouted Moong Salad
- Moong beans, sprouted and boiled 2 cups (You can even keep it half-cooked for crunch)
- Small or medium-sized onion, finely chopped 1
- Medium-sized tomato, finely chopped 1
- Green chilli, finely chopped 1 (optional)
- Red chilli powder ¼ tsp
- Chaat masala ½ or 1 tsp (optional)
- Lemon juice 1 tsp or as required
- Boiled potato or boiled sweet potato 1 (optional)
- Few coriander leaves and lemon slices for garnishing
- Rock salt or black salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients listed above, except salt and lemon juice, with sprouted beans in a bowl.
- Season with salt, lemon juice and garnish with lemon slices and coriander leaves just before serving.
To get started with the best diet & training choices for your fitness, training or weightloss plan, sign up today and speak to our experts.
[symple_button url=”https://healthifyme.onelink.me/2285251819?pid=Blog_Post&c=Sign_Up&af_dp=hmein%3A%2F%2Factivity%2FPlansv2Activity&af_web_dp=http%3A%2F%2Fhealthifyme.com%2Fhome&af_force_dp=true” color=”red” size=”medium” border_radius=”3px” target=”self” rel=”” icon_left=”” icon_right=””]Get fit with HealthifyMe. Sign up here[/symple_button]