- 1 Medium sized Cabbage
- 1 1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Caraway seeds(optional for flavour)
- Cut eight wedge out of the cabbage and thinly slice it crosswise.
- Put the thinly sliced cabbage in a bowl and add salt.
- Rub the salt in the cabbage for 5-10 mins and add caraway seeds.
- Put all the mixture into a clean jar, cover the jar with a cloth, and fix it with a rubber band.
- Keep the jar in a cool and dry place away from sunlight.
- Check it every 24 hours and press it downwards. Put a small mason jar to weigh it down.
- Add 1 cup of water with one teaspoon salt (if needed) afterwards.
- Leave it for 3 to 10 days at 65 degrees F to 75 degrees F.
- After three days, you can check if the sauerkraut is according to your taste. If not, ferment it for more days.
2.Low Carb Sauerkraut Salad
- 2 piece Chicken breast
- 3/4 kg Sauerkraut
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 Medium sized Onion
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- As per taste Salt and pepper
- Take a pan and heat it. Add 1 tbsp oil.
- Cut onions into small pieces and put in the hot oil.
- Once the onion is golden brown, add the chicken pieces and cook for 10 mins.
- Add sauerkraut into the pan once the chicken is half done and simmer for 20-25 mins.
- Once the chicken and sauerkraut turn soft and cooked, turn the flame off and mix a tbsp of Greek yoghurt.
- Serve hot.
3.Sauerkraut Casserole with Chicken
- 3 Chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 Medium sized Onion
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds
- 2 pieces Bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Carrot
- 2 medium-sized Potatoes
- 1/2 cup Mushroom
- 1/3 cup Prunes
- As per taste Salt & Pepper
- Take a pan, put 1 tbsp oil, and heat it in the oven preheated for 170 C. Add garlic, onion, bay leaves, and caraway seeds and cook for 3 minutes.
- Take the onion mixture out and fry chicken drumsticks from all the sides for 3 mins.
- Add all the remaining vegetables, prunes, and sauerkraut into the pot, stir well, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Cover the pot and bake for 2.5 hours. Stir in between the cooking
- Take the pot out, take out the mixture on a plate and separate the meat from the bone.
- Put it back in the pot, stir well and serve.
4.Apple sauerkraut stuffing
- 10 cups Cubed seeded rye bread
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Chopped onions
- 2 cups Chopped apples
- 2 cloves Minced Garlic
- 1/2 cup Chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 2-3 cups Low sodium broth
- 1/2 cup Shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup Sauerkraut
- 1/2 tsp Dry pepper
- Spread bread over a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated oven 275 degrees F for about 30 mins. Take it out in a dish.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Then heat a large skillet on medium-high heat, add oil, and heat it.
- After that, add onions and apples and cook for 3-5 mins.
- Lower the heat and cook for 3-5 mins more, add garlic and parsley and cook for a bit.
- Take the mixture out and spread it on the bread. Then add melted butter to it.
- Add the remaining ingredients, sauerkraut, broth, pepper, and cheese, and mix well.
- Coat a baking dish with cooking spray and transfer the mixture into it.
- Cover it with a foil ( spray one side of the foil).
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil and cook again for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Leave a Reply