Do you enjoy eating warm, whole corn roasted and seasoned with salt and lemon on a rainy day? Or perhaps a hearty, hot corn soup during the winters? Who doesn’t? Corn, also known as makai or bhutta, is one of the most popular grains across the globe.
In many tropical and subtropical countries, corn is the primary food that people consume. In addition, the ease of preparing and procuring corn-based foods has made them quite popular among youngsters and adults.
There are several ways in which one can use corn.
Corn is a vegetable used for various things, like oil, cereals, chips, etc. In addition, you can enjoy its multiple form of tasty treats like popcorn, corn chaat, tortillas, etc.
This delicious grain is a good source of vital micronutrients like potassium, magnesium, vitamins A and C, folate, and antioxidants. But did you know that corn can aid in weight loss? Yes, including corn in your weight loss journey assists in shedding some extra pounds. However, like every other food item, it is crucial to consume corn in moderation.
Corn for Weight Loss
Corn is nutrient-dense and high in water and fibre. Eating it helps to reduce appetite and induce fullness. Moreover, it continues to take up water once ingested and bulk up, keeping you satiated for longer. You can use it to substitute other high-calorie, unhealthy food products.
Its high content of dietary fibre also stops your body from absorbing calories. Corn has large amounts of cellulose, an insoluble fibre which our bodies are unable to process it. However, when corn gets chewed for longer periods, the cellulose walls also break down, allowing the digestive tract to absorb more nutrients than before.
How Yashika Lost 17 kg and Upped Her Muscle Mass in Just a Year | A HealthifyMe Transformation Story
Chat with us to get started on your health and fitness journey >> https://hlfy.me/YT_Video
Sweet corn is high in carbohydrates, fibre, vitamins, and minerals. In addition, studies prove that sweetcorn is a fantastic probiotic because it contains healthy gut bacteria that promote digestion and metabolism, contributing to weight loss.
The HealthifyMe Note
One must know that the high fibre content in corn assists in weight loss in several ways. Probiotics found in corn help with digestion and speed up the body’s metabolism. As a result, the food gets digested more quickly, and you continue to feel full for longer. Corns significantly aid weight loss.
Ways to Consume Corn for Weight Loss
- Roasted corn is one of the simplest and healthiest forms to eat. Don’t add butter or oil to the roasted corn to prevent calorie comsumption. You may add a squeeze of lemon and some salt as a garnish to enhance the flavour.
- Boiled corn is a terrific, healthy snack for weight loss. Add some salt and ginger on top, then relish the goodness.
- Stir fry corn, capsicum, spring onions, and other vegetables together for a tasty, weight-loss-friendly dinner.
- Have a clear sweet corn soup before a meal to prevent overeating. You will experience sustained satiety. Add loads of veggies, such as carrots, broccoli, beans, etc., and your preferred protein to the soup to boost its nutritious value. Since cornstarch and butter contain a lot of carbohydrates, avoid using them.
- Use sweet corn to prepare chaats, salads, and low-calorie fritters. One can also use it in place of excessive sugary food items.
- Baby corn is rich in nutrients. In addition, it is healthier for weight loss because it contains less fat and starch. Your weight loss dinner may go well with a spicy baby corn salad or a baked crispy baby corn snack, which helps us to go through the weight loss journey smoothly.
- Popcorn is a delicious, healthy, low-calorie snack. However, try to use as little oil or none when preparing it.
- Corn upma as breakfast is highly nutritious and promotes weight loss. Moreover, it can also get consumed as a light dinner, evening snack or tiffin snack.
The HealthifyMe Note
Corns have a low GI index (GI-52), so it is unquestionably safe to include them in the meals of dieters and diabetics. Additionally, because maize is naturally gluten-free, individuals with gluten intolerance can consume corn.
Healthy Corn Recipes for Weight Loss
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Onion: 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Capsicum: 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Corn kernels: 1 cup (boiled)
- Tomatoes: 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Coriander leaves: 1/4th cup (finely chopped)
- Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
- Salt: to taste
- Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
- Black pepper: 1 tsp
- Chaat masala: 1 tbsp
- Add chopped vegetables to a bowl with corn kernels.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, black pepper, and chaat masala; toss to combine.
- Pour lemon juice and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Roasted Garlic Baby Corn
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Baby corns: 10
- Chopped or crushed garlic: 1 tbsp
- Olive oil: 3 tsp
- Roasted jeera: 1 tsp
- Pepper powder: ½ tsp
- Chaat masala: ½ tsp
- Oregano: ½ tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Wash and chop the baby corn in half.
- Put it in a bowl, add chopped garlic, olive oil, roasted jeera, chaat masala, salt, and pepper, and toss well.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil. Grease with olive oil and arrange the baby corn as a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Halfway through, take it out, brush with oil reserved, and turn the tray; continue baking.
- Bake until golden brown and serve.
Portion control when eating corn is crucial for keeping a healthy weight. If consumed in excess, the fibre in corn can lead to bloating and discomfort.
Realising that various meals use corn as an ingredient, people can sometimes overindulge and binge. While corn can help weight loss, overconsumption can lead to weight gain.
The form of corn consumption is also vital. Do not consume processed corn products made using corn syrup or corn flour; they might cause weight gain and other health issues. Instead, only consume corn as a whole grain.
In processed foods, high fructose corn syrup is a popular ingredient. However, it can lead to an increased risk of diabetes. As with other sweets, restrict high fructose corn syrup if you want to lose weight. Additionally, you must include foods like beans, nuts, dairy products, or animal protein to give you adequate protein.
The cornerstone of healthy living is an efficient weight management approach. When you eat corn in the correct amounts, it offers several benefits. It is one of the most nutritious snack options you may choose to reduce your weight if you consume it effectively and healthily.
For your weight loss journey to be justified, you must adopt healthy eating habits and appropriate lifestyle behaviours.
Gastritis,or Gerd ,when accompanied by Thyroid and constipation life becomes complicated in selecting the foods to consume,can this problem be resolved