Nutrition and weight loss go hand in hand. While nutritional science is an entire medical vertical that deals with the study of the effects of food on metabolism, health and performance, tracking calorie intake is something anyone can do.
The recommended calorie intake varies from person to person, based on age, gender, fitness, metabolism and physical activity levels. This makes it hard to define a nutrition and calorie budget that works for all.
How we began counting calories
The idea of counting calories became popular around the turn of the 20th century when American scientist Wilbur Atwater revealed that a “bomb calorimeter” could measure how much “energy” was present in a particular food. Since then, calorie counting has been a part of health, fitness and diet plans across the world. Apart from losing weight, counting calories is recommended for anyone who wants to build mass, increase strength and boost endurance.
Calculating nutritional value and calories in Indian Foods
One of the biggest challenges faced by people who follow an Indian Diet, is access to the caloric count and value of the dishes they consume.
Most calorie counters are tailored to a Western audience, so you’re more likely to find the protein, fat, carb and fiber breakdown of paella over palak paneer.
This gap in information is overcome by HealthifyMe, a comprehensive lifestyle tracking platform that comprises of the largest database of Indian food items. With over 20,000 dishes covering all regional cuisines, and recognisable quantity measurements such as katoris and bowls apart from the ubiquitous grams. Calorie tracking has never been easier!
Here’s how HealthifyMe can help you track your calorie intake. These features are available for free when you download the app.
1. Begin by setting your goals
Punch in your age, gender, height and weight to know your BMI and choose your fitness goal, and the app will provide you with a calorie intake, and calorie burn budget.
2. Multiple, easy ways to track your calories every day
- Log all your meals – breakfast, morning snack, lunch, evening snack and dinner – to know whether you’re within your calorie budget. Analyse the food you ate by getting a detailed macro- and micronutrient breakdown of it, along with top contributors of nutrition for each logged item.
- Enter common restaurant dishes and packaged foods, and track multiple serving sizes in the Indian context (such as katori and chapati servings).
- Don’t feel like typing? Track using images! The Photo Tracking feature lets you log meals by just taking a picture of the item, or uploading an existing one.
- Consume certain food items frequently? The Quick Track feature helps you log those by a single tap.
- The Analysis tool displays the breakdown of the food items consumed into four dominant food groups – Protein, Fats, Carbs and Fiber. Helping you understand what nutrients your meals are rich in, and what it lacks.
- The Suggestions tool recommends food items based on time of day and nutrients lacking in your overall diet!
3. Compare calories consumed with calories burned
HealthifyMe allows you to input your workout routine – exercises and Yoga asanas, to calculate the number of calories you burn. Apart from the database of more than 1,000 exercises and activities, GPS tracking lets you LiveTrack your runs, walks and cycling.
For guaranteed results, one can also opt for personalized coaching – wherein India’s finest Nutritionists and, Fitness & Yoga Trainers design easy to follow diet and workout plans, keeping in mind your lifestyle and medical conditions. Along with this, get access to Group Coaching – a fitness driven support community of people with similar fitness goals, who celebrate your highs and inspires you through your lows!
HealthifyMe’s premium users are not only effectively losing 5 kg in 10 weeks, they’re also eating 25 percent better, and exercising 60 percent more, than when they began!
Count your calories and achieve your fitness goal with HealthifyMe – India’s Premier Digital Fitness Platform. Connect with our coaches to get started!
Disclaimer: The results may vary from person to person.