Brinjal is super delicious. Thus, it has a steady and secure place in almost all cuisines. It has a trait for absorbing flavours, which makes it a great vegetable.
From cooking stews to making fries, brinjals are versatile. However, there is more to this veggie apart from the taste. The nutritional values of eggplant are extraordinary.
From making the brain super healthy to curbing fat, brinjal is excellent. Thus nutritionists recommend you include eggplant in your diet for your well-being. Research proves that eggplant has many nutritious benefits for good health.
Since it is low in carbohydrates and calories, reducing weight gets easier with brinjal consumption. Moreover, its high-fibre content works wonders in managing your appetite. So, if you are on the journey of losing weight, pick brinjal as your partner.
Nutritional Values of Brinjal
According to USDA, 100g of brinjal contains significant amounts of essential nutrients, making it an ideal vegetable to include in your diet. However, you can talk to a HealthifyMe nutritionist about using brinjal’s nutrition to suit your weight loss needs.
Is Brinjal Good for Weight Loss?
Inevitably and undoubtedly, yes. Brinjal, eggplant, aubergine, etc., by whatever name you call this vegetable, aids in weight loss. Including it in one’s diet could make one lose weight. According to a study, eggplant promotes weight loss in obese and overweight people.
Those looking to manage their weight must make changes in their diet. Replacing high-calorie food with low-calorie one is essential. Also, one has to increase their dietary fibre intake. Doing so can result in sticking up with not-so-delicious foods. However, that’s different in case of brinjal.
Owing a super absorbent flesh, brinjal can take in all spices and flavours. Thus, it is soft and delicious. Its absorbent flesh not only makes it tasty but also fibrous. Any food rich in fibre is good for weight loss. Fibre helps one limit their cravings. Hence they will stay fuller without the need to eat more.
Brinjal is the perfect example of low-calorie but nutritionally dense food. This vegetable has limited calories sufficient to give the required energy. But, at the same time, its calories are low enough to promote any weight gain. However, one must ensure to cook it the right way, as frying or cooking with lots of oil will not serve the purpose.
The HealthifyMe Note
Brinjal is every true food lover’s favourite vegetable. Although most consider it a vegetable, brinjal is a fruit, a berry. Interestingly, it goes by many names in various regions. Some call it an aubergine, while others recognise it as an eggplant. And most parts of Asia and Africa call it brinjal. India and China dominate the world’s brinjal production by 85%.
Brinjal Benefits for Weight Loss
Brinjal is a must and should be a vegetable for all households. The dishes one could prepare with it are unlimited, so are its health benefits. Among various perks of eating aubergine, weight loss is a primary perk. Following are the reasons why brinjals promote your weight loss:
Low Glycemic Index (GI)
As per one study, the eggplant secures a position in the glycemic index.
And that is a low GI range. So anything low on this index makes it perfect for slowing down blood sugar levels and glucose. Thus, it doesn’t affect weight gain.
Aubergine has properties to reduce one’s cholesterol intake. Additionally, this veggie makes your metabolism higher. It is because this vegetable has more fibre, vitamins and antioxidants.
An increased metabolism could lead to burning the buildup of plaque in the blood vessels. That ultimately leads to weight loss.
Rich in Polyphenols
Brinjal has abundant phenolics in it. These are compounds found naturally in plants and plant-based foods.
These compounds help you lower your intake of energy by slowing down digestion. Therefore, polyphenols assist you in reducing the chances of being overweight. Thus, even juices or brinjal water for weight loss help you stay fit.
Low in Calories
Foods with low calories are preferable to reduce obesity. Also, calories are related to the accumulation of energy and cholesterol.
And when the body has little physical activity to use that stored energy, it leads to obesity. Thus, eating foods with limited calories is good. Brinjal is a perfect choice.
Good Source of Antioxidants
As per one study, brinjals have high antioxidants. Antioxidants are good for weight loss. Foods rich in antioxidants help one fight obesity issues.
Moreover, these substances prove to increase metabolism and ease digestion. Fortunately, brinjal has more antioxidants than most other veggies. Hence, it lets you lose extra weight.
High in Fibre Content
When deciding to lose weight, fibre plays a significant role. Dietary fibre, which humans get from foods, lets them lose weight. Also, the body cannot digest fibre immediately.
The slow digestion of fiber helps you feel more full allowing you to eat less without feeling hungry. Thus, slow digestion and feeling fuller for longer makes one curb their cravings. It also reduces cholesterol which.
Brinjal Recipe for Weight Loss
There are great recipes for one to make with brinjal. Whatever you make with it, you will enjoy the taste and flavour. Ensuring nutrition with flavour is the essence of a healthy diet. Here are two healthy eggplant recipes that you can include in a weight-loss diet:
Grilled Eggplant with Tomatoes and Basil:
- Slice eggplant into ½-inch thick rounds and brush with olive oil.
- Grill the eggplant slices over medium-high heat until they are tender and have grill marks.
- Top the grilled eggplant with diced tomatoes, fresh basil, and a sprinkle of feta cheese.
Eggplant and Chickpea Curry:
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add diced eggplant, canned chickpeas, diced onions, minced garlic, and your favourite curry spices to the pot.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender, then stir in a can of coconut milk and a handful of chopped fresh cilantro.
- Serve the curry with cooked brown rice or quinoa.
Eggplant is a low-calorie, high-fibre vegetable that can be a healthy addition to a weight loss diet. By incorporating eggplant into your meals, you can add variety and flavour to your diet while still achieving your weight loss goals.
The HealthifyMe Note
Brinjals are available to us in many colours. And they also appear in slightly different shapes. For example, most of us usually see purple and green coloured eggplants. However, these vegetables are in white, indigo, and various other purple shades. Regardless, all coloured aubergines show almost similar nutritional benefits.
You can use this vegetable for quick, healthy, and tasty weight loss. Besides managing weight loss, it is believed to have other health benefits, like reducing the chances of cancer, curing inflammation, strengthening bones, etc. Besides, with HealthifyMe Pro 2.0, you can learn how to manage weight, the qualified nutritionist will guide you right in incorporating brinjal in your diet. The app has got all features to help you lose the extra kilos in a breeze.
Deciding to lose weight is a heavy decision to make, literally. But the process of successfully losing weight is a big deal. Various physical activities, a stress-free lifestyle and, more importantly, a change in diet are necessary.
Taking measures to include foods that are good for managing weight is the first step.
For example, brinjal has excellent fibre content and low calories and is a perfect option for losing weight. So, without delay, prepare unique dishes along with the one mentioned here to lose weight.
The Research Sources
1. Gürbüz N, Uluişik S, Frary A, Frary A, Doğanlar S. Health benefits and bioactive compounds of eggplant. Food Chem. 2018 Dec 1;268:602-610. Doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.06.093. Epub 2018 Jun 20. PMID: 30064803.
2. Yarmohammadi F, Ghasemzadeh Rahbardar M, Hosseinzadeh H. Effect of eggplant (Solanum melongena) on the metabolic syndrome: A review. Iran J Basic Med Sci. 2021 Apr;24(4):420-427. doi: 10.22038/ijbms.2021.50276.11452. PMID: 34094022; PMCID: PMC8143715.
3. Nwanna EE, Ibukun EO, Oboh G. Nutritional content of selected species of tropical eggplant fruit (Solanum spp) diet Attenuates hepatic inflammation in high-fat fed male Wistar rats induced with streptozotocin. Food Sci Nutr. 2018 Nov 19;7(1):109-119. doi: 10.1002/fsn3.811. PMID: 30680164; PMCID: PMC6341174.
4. Colak N, Kurt-Celebi A, Gruz J, Strnad M, Hayirlioglu-Ayaz S, Choung MG, Esatbeyoglu T, Ayaz FA. The Phenolics and Antioxidant Properties of Black and Purple versus White Eggplant Cultivars. Molecules. 2022 Apr 8;27(8):2410. doi: 10.3390/molecules27082410. PMID: 35458607; PMCID: PMC9030419.
5. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. 2014. USDA Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies 2011-2012. Food Surveys Research Group Home Page, /ba/bhnrc/fsrg
Leave a Reply