Love them or hate them, squats are an important part of any exercise routine. Apart from being an exercise that you can do anywhere and at any time, they are the best way to tone your legs and butt. But there are lots more reasons to get down. We give you the top nine reasons to start squatting now:
- To build muscle:Squats help build leg and calf muscles and also create an anabolic environment that promotes body-wide muscle building. When done properly, they trigger the release of testosterone and human growth hormone – needed for muscle growth.
- To burn more fat:Squats help you gain muscle, which is the best way to burn more fat. Every pound of additional muscle helps the body burn an extra 50-70 calories per day. So make time for squats just like you eat foods that will help you pack on muscle.
- To increase leg strength: Strong legs are extremely important to the movement as you age. Squats enhance leg strength, work out the core and improve communication between the brain and your muscle groups to prevent falls.
- To get a better body: No exercise works as many muscles as the squat. Do them regularly. You’ll get a toned and tightened behind, rock-hard abs and sculpted legs like Katrina Kaif.
- To protect against disease:Squats build your muscles and these muscles help regulate glucose and lipid metabolism and insulin sensitivity. This can, in turn, protect you against obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- To improve your digestion: Regular squatting improves the pumping of body fluids, aiding in the removal of waste and more regular bowel movements. There’s a reason why our ancestors used to squat!
- To increase athletic ability: Whether you’re a sportsperson or a harried executive, squats enhance athletic ability. Doing them regularly can help you jump higher and run faster.
- To make real-life activities easier:Squats are a set of functional exercises that help your body to perform real-life activities much better. They enhance muscle function and promote mobility and balance.
- To get rid of cellulite:Making time for squats every other day may work better than splurging on that cellulite cream or invasive treatment. Squats improve your circulation and are the easiest way to a cellulite-free body.
Still not sure if you’ve got your squat right? Here’s how you do the basic body weight squat. Stand as tall as you can, your feet shoulder-width apart. Lower your body as far as you can by pushing your hips back and bending your knees. Pause and slowly push yourself back to the starting position.