Republic Day is usually celebrated with a lot of patriotic zeal. But due to the pandemic, we may have to amend the ways we celebrate it. We have 5 healthy tricolor recipes that you can make to celebrate the 72nd Republic Day while staying indoors!
But first, let’s brush up on our History. The Constitution of India, which was adopted by the Constituent Assembly on November 26, 1949, came into effect on January 26, 1950. This completed India’s transition towards becoming an independent republic with a democratic government system. January 26 was also chosen as the day to mark Republic Day because it was on this day that the Indian National Congress (INC) proclaimed the Declaration of Indian Independence in 1929.
5 Healthy Tricolor Food Recipes to Celebrate Republic Day
Celebrate the 72nd Republic Day by trying out one of these fun, easy-to-make, and healthy recipes that are naturally tricolored. You can turn this into a fun activity by including your family & friends to help cook/make these delicious recipes! These recipes take care of all your nutritional needs and natural food imparts the right colors for celebration.
#1 Tricolor Idli
Tricolor Idli is not only a healthy recipe but also light and easy breakfast recipe. Rice & dal give complete protein and vegetables add fiber and antioxidants.
- 3 cups raw short-grained rice or idli rice
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 cup blanched and pureed spinach
- 1 cup boiled and pureed carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Turmeric powder a pinch
- Soak rice and dal separately for 6-8 hours and then grind until smooth. Add salt and let the batter ferment overnight
- Boil water in a steamer and grease Idli molds
- Divide the batter into three parts. Mix carrot & spinach puree in two parts separately to make orange & green color batter. Add a pinch of turmeric to the carrot batter
- Place orange color batter in a round mold first from one side followed by white then green at the last making stripes of batter. Alternatively, you can make different colored idlis separately
- Steam for 10-15 minutes or until done. Allow it to cool down a little and scoop out idlis from the mold.
- Served warm with sambar and chutney
#2 Tricolor Salad
Tricolor Salad can be served with meals or quick solutions for mid-time small meals. The recipe adds Green peas protein with vitamins and a dose of antioxidants from carrots and radishes.
- 0.5 cup grated orange Carrot
- 0.25 cup grated White Radish
- 0.5 cup Green Peas, steamed
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl, add salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside
- Add this dressing to carrot, radish, and steamed peas in separate bowls and mix well
- Take a mason jar. Layer green peas at the bottom, followed by radish and carrot at the top
- Healthy and tasty salad is ready to serve or you can carry it along with you for mid-time small hunger
#3 Tricolor Pulao
Tricolor Pulao is a good complex carbs option with added benefits of fiber and other micronutrients.
- 1 cup rice (soak for 30-40 minutes)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 0.25 cup chopped Green beans
- 0.5 cup Green peas
- 2 cup spinach
- 2 green chilies
- 1 onion
- 0.25 teaspoon cumin
- 0.25 teaspoon saffron
- 0.25 cup grated pumpkin
- 1.5 teaspoon salt
- Boil rice in water and cook until it is firm and not mushy. Drain and let cool
- Blanch spinach, green beans, and green peas. Then add to a mixing jar with green chilies and make a coarse paste. Soak saffron in warm water and set aside
- In another pan, add ghee. Once hot, add cumin seeds and allow the seeds to splutter. Add chopped onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until translucent. Add the cooked rice and salt, then mix well. Make 3 equal parts and set them aside
- For the green layer take a pan. Once warm, add the green paste and 1-2 tablespoon water and cook for a minute
- Add cooked rice and mix until rice coat well so that the rice gets mixed into the green color
- For the orange layer, heat a pan, and once hot add grated pumpkin. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until cooked well. Add saffron along with water and cooked rice. Mix well to coat the color all over the rice. Cover and simmer for a few minutes. Switch off the flame and set it aside
- Take a large bowl. Layer orange rice followed by white and green rice at the top. Press lightly and unmold it on a plate. Beautiful and yummy Tricolor rice is ready to serve with chilled raita or curry
#4 Tricolor Fruit Parfait
Fruits are a good and quick mid-time small meal solution. This easy recipe is loaded with lots of antioxidants and dietary fiber and good protein from Greek yogurt.
- ½ cup chopped kiwi
- ½ cup peeled and cut orange segments
- 1 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp chopped nuts
- Mix honey and Greek yogurt well
- Take a wide-mouthed glass, first layer mix of chopped kiwis
- Pour yogurt on it
- Layer chopped nuts on yogurt
- Lastly, add a layer of oranges
#5 Tricolor Sandwiches
A simple, wholesome option for evening cravings.
- 4 wholemeal/multigrain bread slices
- 1 teaspoon green chutney
- 0.25 cup shredded lettuce
- 0.25 cup grated Paneer
- 0.25 cup grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or Sandwich masala
- In a mixing bowl, add shredded lettuce and green chutney. Mix well and set aside
- Add salt and pepper to grated paneer and carrot in a separate bowl. Mix well and set aside
- Place a bread slice on board. Spread lettuce mixture evenly and place a bread slice over it. Spread the Paneer mixture evenly on top and place one more bread slice. Lastly, spread the carrot mixture and cover it with the last bread slice
- Cut in triangles and serve. Alternatively, you can grill on both sides, cut, and serve
All the recipes mentioned above are made using natural ingredients. You will have as much fun making these tri-colored dishes as you will eating them!