You have probably been getting your height measured right from the times when you were a child. Measuring height is an important metric for proper growth and is usually part of a standard routine. It is also an integral part of a medical check-up. We usually need to measure the height for other non-medical reasons like getting clothes, placing mirrors, etc.
Average height can vary based on several factors. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, a person’s height is affected by:
- Access to medical care
Here are a few methods to help you measure your height.
Ways to Measure Your Height
Following are the few methods which can be used to measure height.
1. How to measure your height using a stadiometer:
The metallic sliding device that you find at a doctor’s office is called a stadiometer. It is the most accurate and convenient way to measure your height. There are few simple steps that need to be followed to measure height using a stadiometer:
- First, take off your shoes and socks and stand with your back and feet touching the wall.
- A stadiometer is usually made up of a sliding scale attached to a horizontal piece. So, pull it down to the top of your head and hold it there.
- If you can avail the assistance of someone else, then get them to hold the slider in place while you slide out from beneath it.
- If you are unassisted then hold the slider in place with one hand and slide out from the side and then take the reading
2. How to measure your height using a tape:
Just like the rest of us, if you are at home due to the pandemic, chances are you don’t have access to a stadiometer. Worry not, a measuring tape, and the book will suffice. Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure you’re standing facing a mirror. This is to ensure you’re standing straight and you’re placing the book correctly over your head. If that’s not possible then use a handheld mirror
- Stand as upright as possible, aligned with the wall on an even floor. Ensure that your back and heels touch the wall. Keep your chin tucked in and look straight ahead. It’s better to avoid measuring your height on carpeted floors to increase the accuracy of measuring
- Take off any headband or cap you might be wearing. If your hair is tied up make sure to leave it loose
- Place the book right on top of your head using one hand. Holding the book in place, slide out from the side
- Using the pencil make a mark on the wall where the book touched your head.
- Now measure the distance from the mark to the floor using the measuring tape.
How to Convert Height from One Measuring Unit to the Other
Some tape measures have centimetres on one side and inches on the other. If the tape measure has only one type of measurement, it may be necessary to convert them depending on why a person needs the measurement.
For example, if a person needs the height measurements to calculate body mass index (BMI) and is not sure whether they need imperial or metric measurements, they should record both numbers and then convert if necessary.
A person can use the following formulas of conversions:
Inches to centimetres: multiply height in inches by 2.54
Centimetres to inches: divide height in centimetres by 2.54
Many calculators have a conversion capability. To help with conversion, note that 1 ft = 12 inches or 30.48 cm. Therefore, someone who measures 5ft 4in will be 64 inches, or 162.56 cm tall.
Height depends on various factors like genetics, nutrition and so on. Height plays an important role in shaping your overall personality. However, do not feel insecure if you are too short or too tall. One should embrace the body they are born with. A person with short height is as beautiful and powerful as someone who is amazingly tall. Your height does not decide your capabilities, rather it is your talent and character that matters.
So be proud of your height. Eat a healthy diet, exercise and maintain a good body weight. Sometimes, weight can also hamper height and make you look even shorter. Keep your weight in check to enhance your height. A slim body automatically looks tall and appealing. You can also experiment with your clothing styles and footwear to add a few inches to your height. These are some of the ways you can enhance your height for certain special occasions.
Also, keep in mind that the above measuring methods are rudimentary and the final measurement will give you an approximate measurement of your height. We hope you find these methods useful when you measure your height the next time.
1. A Guide on How to Increase Height
2. Height Weight Chart: Ideal Weight for Men and Women
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A. There are a plethora of health implications for measuring height, which varies from when you are a baby to old age. In infants and growing children, increasing height is an important milestone and indicator of healthy growth. Height in adults is most commonly taken to measure BMI, which is short for Body Mass Index. Abnormal height also points to spinal deformities like a hunchback, often seen as age advances.
A. Yes, height measured at home if done correctly is largely accurate, with usually a margin of error of only one or two centimetres.
A. We ideally recommend using a metallic tape measure that will remain straight when you measure your height.
A. There is no best time to measure height. However, it is widely believed that a person is at their tallest in the morning when they first wake and gradually loses some height throughout the day. Therefore, it is a good idea to measure your height in the morning to get an accurate measure of your height.
A. Height depends on genetics and lifestyle. Though one cannot change the height of a person, certain foods can support growth in young children. Carrots, berries, quinoa, almonds, beans, chicken, fish, oatmeal, grains, eggs, banana, milk and tofu can help to increase your height. A well-balanced diet rich in fibre, protein, calcium, minerals and vitamins is essential for the proper growth of children.
Leave a Reply